RTRfm Windows 7 and Vista Sidebar GadgetMikey 28 comments
Update 27th September 2010: At some stage RTR decided to change the path to their live stream. I've now fixed the gadget so it works and also improved the interface. Tested on Windows 7 32bit but it'll be fine on 64bit and Vista 32 or 64.
It started out as a desire to listen to RTRfm (the best radio station ever!) without having to launch a separate application or stream it in a web browser, and ended with me finally taking the time to write my first Gadget.
It was surprisingly easy, and my XHTML and CSS knowledge even came into play. The entire project (just code and graphics) only took about 4 hours on and off, and much of that time was spent learning and trouble shooting.
Anyway, download the RTRfm Gadget and install. Once installed it should automatically appear in your sidebar.
Please note: This Gadget will let you stream RTRfm live over the Internet. This means you will be consuming bandwidth. Be wary of your consumption.
- Microsoft Windows 7 and Vista (32 or 64 bit)
- Sidebar activated (the gadget can be undocked if desired)
- Internet Connection
Feedback and suggestions for improvement welcome. Feel free to send me a message if you need assistance.
How to install: To install this gadget, just double click it after you have downloaded it. The gadget will then appear in your sidebar. Too easy.
Troubleshooting: Can't get it to install? Try this:
1) Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets and create a new folder called RTRfm_v2.gadget
2) Open the RTRfm gadget you downloaded with a decompression tool like Winzip or Winrar
3) Copy the files that are inside the gadget into the new folder you created at stage 1 above (there should be gadget.xml, rtr.html, settings.html and a resources folder)
3) Right click the sidebar and select add gadgets and you will see the RTRfm gadget there
Support: Still having issues? Send me a message or leave a comment below and I will do my best to assist.