The luckiest man on earth.Friendo 17 comments Poll
In the past I have asked questions like: “What is success in our lives?”, “Should I consider myself successful”, “What-if any-mark will I leave on mankind when I'm gone?”, and “How do we measure ourselves, our lives, and our legacy?”
These questions have elicited many answers, and-in general-I have happily been able to lower my bar in reference to these questions, and have happily been able to surmise that not only am I a success, but a positive force in the universe, regardless of how small.
After pondering for months (maybe years), I have determined that not only am I successful, but a very, very lucky being. Surely I, and millions like me are the most fortunate organisms to have ever had the privilege to enjoy life on this planet. Not only can we move about at will, see our surroundings (in color), have some vague comprehension, have limited understanding, touch, feel, smell, communicate, converse and share things and ideas...well, it's really quite amazing. I like it!
Now I will grant you, there are billions who have miserable lives, but I cannot claim to be one of them. I did not ask to be born where I was, nor did I request the era that I am trapped in...Nevertheless, poor as I am by many standards, I am rich, very rich. Not money rich, no, for I have no savings, but I am so very rich in so many other ways.
Compared to billions who have ever lived, I would be the richest person they could ever dream of. Just look at what I have. And this is but a partial list.
- A house to protect me from the elements, warm in the Winter, and Air Conditioned in the Summer.
- Clothes to wear that are cool when it's hot, and warm in the Winter.
- A Buick Le-Sabre that transports me further in one hour than billions ever traveled in a lifetime.
- Fuel to put in that car.
- Satisfying employment so that I may purchase my needs and desires in the society I reside.
- Fresh air to breath.
- Medical care.
- Two refrigerators filled with food to support my living body.
- My son to live with me, and my daughters happily living, one in Mexico, and one with her Mother.
- Moderately good health.
- Most of my teeth.
- A few true lifelong, and more recent friends to support, care about and enjoy, to share experiences with.
- The love of a women, and other women who care.
- Priceless memories of wonderful times spent as a youth...Beaches, camping, holidays, family.
- Computers, huge flat panel monitors, cameras, and tons of stuff I love to have around me.
- Beautiful city and vast outdoor nature for thousands of miles in all directions.
- The wonder of plants and animals.
- Two pet Rats that I adore.
- A Bat flying about my living room as I write, it scared the shit out of me. I caught it and freed it outside.
- Internet access that connects me to everyone on earth, with access to all the knowledge of Mankind
- And so much more.
I could write on for days, making this list longer that can be displayed in this forum. All these wonderful pieces of my life have either been carried with me through my life, or acquired within the past few months. A year ago I had nothing, only the memories, and the drive to live and be happy.
Is it the country I live in? Is it the era of my existence? Is it my attitude? Is it the law of attraction? Is it luck? (I don't believe in luck.) Is it Gods will? (I don't believe in God.) Is it real or imagined? How much power do I really have over it? What combination of Time, Location, Universal Law, Chance, and my own will have brought me to this point?
I want to point out that none of this was provided by God. I did not ask him for any of it. I do not attribute any of my wonderful life to him, as there is no "Him."
These are questions that I am unable to answer to my own satisfaction, but I do know that My will, Era, Location and Chance have much to do with it, and within it, I am what I think I am. I am the luckiest man on the planet. Today, my regret is that life is too short. Why couldn't I see that? Why didn't I listen.
In this world, I am in the richest, luckiest being to ever exist. I am in the top ¼ of 1% of all the people who have ever lived on the face of this planet, or probably any other. In my late 50's I begin to revel in it.
I am the luckiest man on earth.
Rusty Lime Poll
New! Get this poll widget for your web site!